Goal 1: Best Practice Advocacy
Promoting and championing the rights of disabled people and families through strong advocacy
- Deliver practical self-advocacy training to adults and to DPOs - Disabled Peoples Organisations.
- Build the capacity of parents of disabled children and young people to effectively speak up and access rights and entitlements on behalf of their children.
- Enable families experiencing disability to establish advocacy and peer support networks.
- Build the capacity of parents of adults accessing disability services to understand and influence policy and have a say in their service provision.
- Provide supportive advocacy services to individuals and their families.
Goal 2: Community Engagement and Social Inclusion
Influencing community attitudes and awareness and increasing organisational capacity and competence
- Build the capacity of disabled people to know their rights, to actively engage in local community development structures and be active contributors to community life.
- Deliver capacity building to Community & Voluntary organisations staff and volunteers to gain a practical understanding of disability and social inclusion through a Disability Competency Training & Support Programme.
Goal 3: Partnership and Collaboration
Building effective and sustainable partnerships for inclusion
- Create and foster alliances across local government, disability services, advocacy groups and local and community development organisations.
- To support a range of agencies to engage and work towards ensuring the rights of disabled people are realised in line with the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and Government disability policy.
Goal 4: Developing Our Services
- Ensure the sustainability of DESSA by developing and implementing a strategy to increase statutory income levels.
Goal 5: Strong Accountable Governance & Management
Improving systems and processes of governance, transparency & accountability
- Completing the journey to full compliance with the Code of Practice for Good Governance of Community and Charitable Organisations in Ireland.
- Conduct DESSA business with responsibility, transparency and accountability.
- Development of an Outcomes Framework to oversee the monitoring of progress against the Strategy.